Subject: bug#56459: 29.0.50; Edebug disables Eldoc

From: Max Brieiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 10:23:51 +0300

1. emacs -Q

2. Instrument any function, e.g. in the scratch buffer type:

    (defun one () (+ 1))

and press C-u C-M-x

3. Run the function, e.g. M-: (one) RET

4. After Edebug reaches stop point, type E to enter eval list buffer

5. Observe that while you are typing any expression, eldoc does not
   display any hints in the echo area. (Same issue exists in any other
   elisp buffer with eldoc mode enabled, while Edebug is active.)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101002
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/gkk3pa8yb1b2fi5qjgdr99mnyqky2d7n-emacs-next-git.master
 --enable-fast-install --with-modules --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/max/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/gkk3pa8yb1b2fi5qjgdr99mnyqky2d7n-emacs-next-git.master/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/max/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220527.2213/transient hides /gnu/store/gkk3pa8yb1b2fi5qjgdr99mnyqky2d7n-emacs-next-git.master/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug rx mule-util cursor-sensor paredit-menu
paredit hideshow hl-line message yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
smtpmail sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util
time-date mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes pcase files-x consult-vertico consult compat-28 compat
bookmark text-property-search corfu orderless marginalia edmacro kmacro
vertico cus-edit pp cl-extra savehist recentf tree-widget wid-edit
pixel-scroll cua-base cus-load use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core guix-emacs corfu-autoloads eglot-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads geiser-impl
help-fns radix-tree help-mode geiser-custom geiser-base ring
geiser-autoloads gif-screencast-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads marginalia-autoloads paredit-menu-autoloads
paredit-autoloads vertico-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 207102 11407)
 (symbols 48 16472 0)
 (strings 32 46004 1953)
 (string-bytes 1 1534072)
 (vectors 16 22677)
 (vector-slots 8 277940 20399)
 (floats 8 128 30)
 (intervals 56 559 0)
 (buffers 992 10))