Subject: 23.1.92; read-event blocks in batch mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:47:48 +0100

Call 

# emacs -Q --batch --eval '(read-event nil nil 0.1)'

It does not return.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.92.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2010-01-30 on detlef
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  partial-completion-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)

Recent input:
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> <up> ( m e s 
s a g e SPC " H a l l o " ) C-x C-s <kp-add> C-x C-s 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> <double-down-mouse-3> 
<double-mouse-3> C-x C-s <kp-divide> C-x C-s <home> 
C-s n o n - b l o c k C-s C-s C-s <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <return> <up> <insert> C-x u ( m e s s a g e 
SPC " H a l l o " ) C-x C-s <kp-add> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <insert> C-x C-s <up> <kp-add> 
C-x C-s <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <left> <left> <return> <insert> C-x C-s 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <up> <up> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
C-h f <return> C-a ; <left> <down> ; C-x C-s <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <help-echo> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-2> C-x 0 <up> <backspace> C-x 
C-s C-x v u <up> <return> C-x v u <up> <return> C-x 
C-f t r a <tab> . e <tab> <return> C-x v l q C-x 0 
C-x C-f C-g C-x k <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> <escape> x r e p o r t <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Saving file /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...
Wrote /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el
Saving file /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...
Wrote /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el
Finding changes in /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...
Reverting /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...done
Finding changes in /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...
No changes between working revision and workfile
Reverting /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/net/dbus.el...done
Quit

Load-path shadows:
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-imap hides ~/lisp/tramp-imap
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gvfs hides ~/lisp/tramp-gvfs
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cache hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-cache
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-uu hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-uu
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-smb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-smb
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cmds hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-cmds
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gw hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-gw
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-imap hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-imap
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-fish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-fish
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gvfs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-gvfs
~/lisp/dbus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/dbus
~/src/tramp/lisp/trampver hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/trampver
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-compat
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-ftp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.92/lisp/net/tramp-ftp

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug add-log log-view pcvs-util diff-mode vc-bzr
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff find-func mule-util find-dired sh-script executable
vc-svn cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs browse-url gnus-dup gnus-fun mailalias vc-cvs ange-ftp
newcomment noutline outline easy-mmode debug help-mode view pp
multi-isearch nnimap imap time-stamp sort gnus-cite html2text smiley
ansi-color flow-fill mail-extr gnus-agent gnus-srvr nnvirtual gnus-async
gnus-bcklg parse-time timezone gnus-score score-mode gnus-ml gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig disp-table
gnus-cache gnus-sum nnfolder pop3 byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile nnml
nndraft nnmh nnnil smtpmail gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit cperl-mode easymenu time
tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-gvfs url-parse url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp
auth-source gnus-util netrc time-date advice help-fns advice-preload
shell comint ring password-cache format-spec tramp-compat cl cl-19
trampver iswitchb jka-compr icomplete complete paren ps-samp zeroconf
dbus xml printing ps-print ps-def lpr vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher dired
regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)