Subject: Re: bug#56444: Patch to fix Gitolite home directory permissions

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:41:19 +0200

On 19-08-2022 15:32, Thompson, David wrote:
> Hi Evgeny and whoever wants to do some code review,
>
> I have been experiencing this same issue for years now and have been 
> manually chmod'ing /var/lib/gitolite every time I upgraded because I 
> didn't understand what was happening.  All this time I thought I had 
> gitolite misconfigured, that maybe I didn't have its umask config set 
> properly, but it was Guix all along! In this case that's great, 
> because it makes the problem easy for me to fix.  Patch attached.  It 
> works like a charm for my personal git server 
> (https://git.dthompson.us), /var/lib/gitolite was 700 before a system 
> reconfigure, and 750 afterwards.
>
> Big thanks to Evgeny for making a bug report and doing the research to 
> identify the root cause!
>
> - Dave

During "guix system reconfigure", there is now window where the 
directory temporarily has incorrect bits and hence if gitolite is 
restarted during that time it will presumably fail.  Could a 
'home-permission-bits' or such field be added instead to <user-account> 
to make things atomic?

Greetings,
Maxime.