Subject: bug#56440: closed (Re: bug#56440: Don't contrast TRAMP to Ange-FTP in introduction of manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 16:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#56440: Don't contrast TRAMP to Ange-FTP in introduction of manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56440: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56440
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56440: Don't contrast TRAMP to Ange-FTP in introduction of manual
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 08:59:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, yes. I push it onto my TODO stack, until there is an empty time slot.
>
> (Feel free to beat me :-)

Thanks, now done (commit aa1e837ab4).

Subject: Don't contrast TRAMP to Ange-FTP in introduction of manual
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 15:45:31 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

How about rewriting the introductory paragraphs in `(tramp) Top' to not
describe TRAMP in contrast to Ange-FTP?  The latter package seems to be
more and more obscure these days, especially since the FTP protocol is
used less and less.  For example, this paragraph:

       The difference is that Ange FTP uses FTP to transfer files between
    the local and the remote host, whereas TRAMP uses a combination of ‘rsh’
    and ‘rcp’ or other work-alike programs, such as ‘ssh’/‘scp’.

Could be turned into an FAQ.

Instead, we could use that limited space to briefly repeat parts of the
information in `(tramp) Overview'.