Subject: Re: bug#56432: run-dig vs dig -- do we need both?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 13:52:16 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 12:47:42 +0200
> Cc: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > run-dig seems to be able to guess the host using
> > net-utils-machine-at-point, something 'dig' doesn't.  So if we want to
> > tell people top use the latter, IMO we should teach 'dig' that trick.
> 
> net-utils-machine-at-point does not seem very useful to me (it seems
> to pick up any word whether or not it looks like a domain name?)

Is it really any worse than not showing any possibly useful default at
all?

> but perhaps we could use thing-at-point instead?

If thing-at-point can guess machines better, sure, why not?  But if it
isn't better, why not use net-utils-machine-at-point?