Subject: Re: bug#56424: hydra.nixos coverage job times out

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 14:52:34 +0200

Am So., 10. Juli 2022 um 14:40 Uhr schrieb Michael Albinus
<[email-masked]>:
>
> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Glenn,
>
> > With increased logging, and a serial build, we can see that it times out
> > in process-tests:
> > https://hydra.nixos.org/build/183466954
>
> The incrimed test is process-tests/fd-setsize-no-crash/make-process.
> From EMBA, I know that there are sometimes problems with this test
> package, that's why we have suppressed
> process-tests/multiple-threads-waiting on EMBA, for example. Maybe
> something similar shall be done for HYDRA?
>
> I've CC'ed Philipp Stephani, the author of this test package, for
> further analysis.

My 2 cents: These timeouts/failures indicate real bugs in Emacs. They
are incredibly hard to debug due to the enormous complexity in Emacs's
asynchronous process handling code, but just skipping them won't make
the bugs go away. Somebody should at least try to dig into these
issues. But probably that requires something like the CI system
creating a snapshot of the failed tests as a Docker container that one
could SSH into, because the failures tend to be impossible to
reproduce locally.