Subject: Re: bug#56407: 29.0.50; desktop.el shouldn't be saving/restoring eglot--managed-mode, which is not for interactive use

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 20:53:33 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I confirmed this with a stack trace requested from the user and came up
>> with this workaround in the user's config:
>> 
>>     (add-to-list 'desktop-minor-mode-handlers
>>                  '(eglot--managed-mode . ignore))
>> 
>> This works, but we should come up with something better.
>
> But why is the above not good enough?  You could also use
> desktop-minor-mode-table, which is a defcustom.

At first I thought it was a customization variable and that would make
it user-specific overwritable etc.  But I see now that evidently it is
not.  According to the docstring of d-m-m-handlers, eglot.el could just
just contain the above invocation, indeed.

But that has the downside that eglot.el must require "desktop.el" which
IMO opinion too strongly couples the two packages.

I think I like Lars's solution best.

João