Subject: Re: bug#56393: Actually fix the long lines display bug

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 13:06:59 +0000

>
> Yes, thanks.  Perhaps add a comment inside modiff_incr explaining why we 
> do it logarithmically.
>

You mean, something like: "Increase the counter more for a large 
modification and less for a small modification, but increase it 
logarithmically to avoid increasing it too much for a large 
modification."?

BTW, I think the threshold to trigger the long lines check in 
redisplay_window could be increased a bit.  That is, instead of using 
"MODIFF - UNCHANGED_MODIFIED > 4" I think we could use "> 8".  That would 
exclude a few more common editing operations, e.g. C-k in a buffer with 80 
columns.  WDYT?

>
> (Hmm... should we say something about this in NEWS?  Not that I expect 
> some code out there depend on the exact increments in MOFIFF...)
>

That would be very surprising, because they are in general unpredictable, 
and different depending on the context; e.g. MODIFF is incremented when 
font locking is enabled.