Subject: Re: bug#56393: Actually fix the long lines display bug

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 08:56:19 +0300

> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 07:47:57 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked],
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> > It was originally supposed to make it easier to move to a more
> > sophisticated GC, where it is important to have one place where a
> > struct member is set, so that you could do whatever GC needs to do
> > with variables that got written to.  Unfortunately, the GC
> > modernization is still not here.
> 
> Too bad.  It does not improve the "habitability" of the code, IMO.

I'm not sure I understand: can you elaborate what you mean by that?

>From my POV, the names are quite self-explanatory, and in a production
build these small functions are all inlined by the compiler, so I
don't think I see a significant downside.  (There _was_ a downside in
the past: the annoying job of converting all direct accesses to struct
members to function calls, but that's water under the bridge.)