Subject: Re: [bug#56382] [PATCH] gnu: gajim: Use hicolor-icon-theme to avoid crashing on startup

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 21:38:08 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Raghav Gururajan" <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>>> Does simply adding ‘hicolor-icon-theme’ to ‘inputs’ fix the issue?
>>
>> Most gtk-based apps expect hicolor-icon-theme and adwaita-icon-theme to be in the profile. Adding these in either system or user profile would prevent this error from occurring.
>
> Right, so the proposed patch (adding ‘hicolor-icon-theme’ to ‘inputs’,
> not ‘propagated-inputs’) shouldn’t make any difference I guess?

I think it works as inputs because of our wrappers (perhaps
XDG_DATA_DIRS)?  But it's kind at odds with our policy which is to let
users manage icons themselves.

Probably because of #20255 that wouldn't help currently (system and user
profiles are not merged), but if we fixed that bug we could make the
situation better by adding 'hicolor-icon-theme' to the default packages
of our desktop system templates.

Thanks,

Maxim