Subject: bug#56353: sbcl-2.2.6 build fail

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 08:51:38 +0000

[email-masked] skribis:

> I wonder what running this at the time builds failed would have shown:
>
> #/usr/bin/bash
> # ~/bin/top-1-sans-hilights -- single snap of top without highlight escapes (no top opt for that??)
> top -n 1 | \
> sed -e 's:[\r][^\r]*[\r]\+::g' -e 's:[\x07\r]::g' -e 's:.\x08::g' \
>     -e 's:\x1B\[[^a-zA-Z]*[a-zA-Z]\x0f*::g' \
>     -e 's:\xe2\x80\x98:":g' -e 's:\xe2\x80\x99:":g'
>
> (no guarantees on my hack to get rid of the highlighting escapes
> and utf8->ascii quote subst :)
> (top seems to assume even -n 1 output is always going to interactive dest)
>
> Anyway, wondering: Could memory and CPU loading at the time
> have triggered the build failure?

I don't think so. It looks like the SB-SIMD optional module only gets
built on x86_64 CPUs supporting AVX2 instructions. The Bayfront and
Harbourfront machines don't, and this is why the 'build-doc' phase fails
when trying to load SB-SIMD to compile its documentation.

I'm testing a patch disabling SB-SIMD, and I'll push it if all goes
well.