Subject: bug#56340: Change erc dependencies

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 06:54:18 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> [1] If we did stick with a new file, what's the best name for such a
>>     thing? I just went with `erc-common', for now, but perhaps something
>>     ending in -macs or -core would be more faithful to the platform?
>
> erc-common is fine.

Cool, thanks.

BTW (for anyone who cares), I'm pretty sure going this route would mean
having to update ERC's ELPA recipe. Actually, since we'll likely be
adding more files later this year (SASL, for one), it might be prudent
to just take care of that now, regardless.

Bandali added the original entry, so he's probably better equipped to
handle this, but rather than list the entire manifest, what about doing
something like this?

  :core ("lisp/erc/"
         "doc/emacs/doclicense.texi"
         "doc/emacs/docstyle.texi"
         "doc/misc/erc.texi"
         "etc/ERC-NEWS"
         "COPYING")
  :excludes ("lisp/erc/erc-loaddefs.el" "lisp/erc/ChangeLog.*")

I tried the above with a local checkout of ELPA, and it seemed to build
all right. But, as usual, I don't know what I'm doing.