Subject: bug#56337: 28.1; Incorrect output by C-u C-x =

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 22:44:49 +0900

The command `what-cursor-position' reports that SPC has `nobreak-space'
face, which isn't true.

[How to reporoduce]
1. emacs -Q
2. Type SPC C-b C-u C-x =
3. In *Help* buffer, there is a line saying
       hardcoded face: nobreak-space

I think this is a bug. SPC actually has no particular face;
`nobreak-space' face has underline (at least on my display), but the SPC
is displayed without underline.

Here is the responsible code in descr-text.el:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
(defun describe-char (pos &optional buffer)
[...]
                            ((and nobreak-char-display char
                                  (eq (get-char-code-property char 'general-category) 'Zs))
                             'nobreak-space)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This conditional should exclude the case that `char' is ASCII space.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.0, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-05-10 built on freebsd.vmware
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: 13.1-RELEASE

Configured using:
 'configure --with-canna --with-canna-includes=/usr/local/canna/include
--with-canna-libraries=/usr/local/canna/lib --without-xim
--disable-largefile --without-modules --with-sound=yes
--with-file-notification=yes CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/keita/elisp:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.eucJP
  locale-coding-system: japanese-iso-8bit-unix

Major mode: twittering-mode

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/tex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220527.2213/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/transient
~/elisp/reftex-parse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/textmodes/reftex-parse
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.1/soap-inspect hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/keita/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.2.1/soap-client hides /usr/local/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow emacsbug vc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-hg pulse color xref debug
backtrace skeleton descr-text lorem-ipsum mule-util ucs-normalize
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm jka-compr twittering-mode advice mh-thread
misearch multi-isearch vc-git vc-dispatcher eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe find-func shortdoc bib-cite pp cl-print help-fns radix-tree
preview reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-bar
toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex latex latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake project warnings tex-ispell tex-style tex texmathp tex-mode
compile latexenc bug-reference magit-extras face-remap magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete comint ring server ansi-color
magit-mode transient cl-extra help-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec dash compat-27 compat-26 compat supercite
easy-mmode regi mh-identity mh-letter mh-comp sendmail mh-search qp
smiley mm-archive mail-extr mh-mime mh-gnus mh-alias multi-prompt crm
mh-show goto-addr thingatpt gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus-range gnus nnheader wid-edit mh-seq mh-inc hl-line
mh-tool-bar mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder which-func imenu gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
text-property-search time-date mh-scan mh-e mh-compat mailabbrev
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs edmacro kmacro preview-latex auto-loads tex-site
canna-im info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib japan-util iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1125796 156695)
 (symbols 48 43994 7)
 (strings 32 220474 17172)
 (string-bytes 1 8759724)
 (vectors 16 98075)
 (vector-slots 8 2340278 124751)
 (floats 8 437 338)
 (intervals 56 38139 10206)
 (buffers 992 64))