Subject: Re: bug#56335: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Add more breakpoint chars support to longlines-mode

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 12:18:57 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> I'm now trying to update the search/query-replace but I don't understand
>> how 'search-spaces-regex' works. It seems that with it I should be able
>> to jump above soft newlines during search, but how ?
>
> Hm, not sure either...

Ok. As far as I understand, a search will use `search-spaces-regex' in
place of an explicit space entered by the user at prompt.

So I could use this to match separators (and newline) when a space is
entered but it won't automatically «jump» soft newlines as I wanted.

Example with this longlines-mode content:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Element1|Element2|
Element3|
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Searching for "|Element3|" won't match but I could use
`search-spaces-regex' to make searching for " Element3 " match. What do
you think?
-- 
Manuel Giraud