Subject: Re: bug#56335: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Add more breakpoint chars support to longlines-mode

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 10:06:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If and when visual-line-mode becomes fast on long lines, we won't need
> visual-line-mode for that.  Unlike longlines, visual-line-mode does
> NOT insert newlines into the character stream examined by the display
> code, it just breaks a visual line in certain places it considers
> appropriate.  Thus, visual-line-mode cannot help where newlines do: in
> breaking long lines into shorter ones.  It suffers from the same
> problems as "normal" display, and any solution, if we find it, will
> fix both.

Hi Eli,

I don't really understand.  If the visual breaking of lines works
flawlessly for editing such file, longlines.el will not be needed
anymore.  And I think it'd be better to have that and *not* insert
newlines into a user's buffer.

>> Now I'm going to check corner cases in longlines.el because the previous
>> code used to replace space with soft newline. This patch should not
>> replace any characters (just add soft newline)… but I could have missed
>> some.
>
> Please indicate when you have a version that we should install.

Ok.  Could I add patch onto this bug report or should I create a new
one?
-- 
Manuel Giraud