Subject: bug#56335: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Add more breakpoint chars support to longlines-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 08:14:00 +0300

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 23:19:48 +0200
> 
> > It seems like everybody both here and in the other thread agreed that we
> > should unobsolete longlines.el, so I've now done so in Emacs 29.  I've
> > also applied Manuel's patch to longlines.
> 
> Thanks. I guess that it could be re-obsoleted when visual-line-mode is
> fast on *very* long lines.

If and when visual-line-mode becomes fast on long lines, we won't need
visual-line-mode for that.  Unlike longlines, visual-line-mode does
NOT insert newlines into the character stream examined by the display
code, it just breaks a visual line in certain places it considers
appropriate.  Thus, visual-line-mode cannot help where newlines do: in
breaking long lines into shorter ones.  It suffers from the same
problems as "normal" display, and any solution, if we find it, will
fix both.

> Now I'm going to check corner cases in longlines.el because the previous
> code used to replace space with soft newline. This patch should not
> replace any characters (just add soft newline)… but I could have missed
> some.

Please indicate when you have a version that we should install.

Thanks.