Subject: bug#56332: 29.0.50; Large gnus imap groups; articles incorrectly marked as read (old)

From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 02:47:10 -0400

I have a large, sparse imap folder with read and unread articles.  In
recent versions of Emacs, when I visit this group, a set of articles in
the middle (when sorted by number) are marked as read with the
`O' mark.  I have bisected this to the following commit:

commit ea640581bad1c596f657ca405f6c97e1b4fc4b11 (refs/bisect/bad)
Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date:   Thu Jun 23 11:22:29 2022 +0200

    Ensure that nnimap doesn't send too long lines to the server
    
    * lisp/gnus/nnimap.el (nnimap-retrieve-headers): Don't send
    too-long lines to the server (bug#56138).

I've attached the FETCH command used by last "good" version and the ones
issued by a build with the offending commit.  In the "bad" version, the
articles from 60795 until 63651 are marked as read with an `O'.

Good:

Bad:

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-07-01 built on miko
Repository revision: efc2a878de6368eebb1ba73f5131eec563ca9b56
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  magit-wip-initial-backup-mode: t
  magit-wip-before-change-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-apply-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-save-mode: t
  magit-wip-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/md5i/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20220514.945/transient hides /home/md5i/src/emacs/master/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug noutline outline pcase so-long advice misearch
multi-isearch mule-util sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7
epa-file network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg
gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnutls gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud gnus-spec gnus-win flyspell ispell view pacproxy descr-text
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load
files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp time sieve-manage sasl
sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
sgml-mode facemenu dom python ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr
picture nm dbus xml magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode easy-mmode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient
comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section format-spec crm dash compat-27 compat-26 compat
nnimap nnmail gnus-int mail-source gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus wid-edit nnheader
gnus-util time-date mail-utils range gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2 url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068
epg-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
debian-el rainbow-delimiters-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 727404 164291)
 (symbols 48 29486 22)
 (strings 32 161584 25563)
 (string-bytes 1 5310091)
 (vectors 16 112893)
 (vector-slots 8 1650392 153295)
 (floats 8 1114 281)
 (intervals 56 777 216)
 (buffers 992 18))

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])