Subject: bug#56327: closed (Re: bug#56327: Regression: openssh service fails to start if system has no IPv6)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 21:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56327: Regression: openssh service fails to start if system has no IPv6

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56327: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56327
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56327: Regression: openssh service fails to start if system has no IPv6
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: André Batista <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 23:56:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

André Batista <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I've tested the following patch, which tests for IPv6 support, on
> both a system without IPv6 and another with it, but I have not tested
> on a system with shepherd < 0.9.1. Hopefuly it works as expected.

Older versions of shepherd are not relevant in this case.

I’ve fixed it slightly differently in commit
bf7e07d299b197891110fbd8c717badbab06a472, to avoid a file descriptor
leak.  Thanks!

Out of curiosity: I suppose you’re explicitly disabling IPv6 by using a
custom kernel or with an activation snippet that fiddles with /proc or
/sys, right?

Ludo’.

Subject: Regression: openssh service fails to start if system has no IPv6
From: André Batista <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:20:18 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

Since commit d2b3400f79ffaed3357650307376ab69a7ec3b1b, ssh-daemon
fails to start when the system is using shepherd 0.9.1, but has no
support to IPv6. This is a result of shepherd trying to listen on a
IPv6 address without prior checking.

See https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55335.

PS: Yeah, I know, it's 2022 and in a few months it will be 2023 and
everyone's toilet should have its own IPv6 address by now and report
its users health conditions to a plethora of pharmaceutical
advertisers. Nonetheless, in this backward corner of the Earth there
is still one guix machine without IPv6, believe it or not! :D