Subject: bug#56323: 29.0.50; [v2] Add new customisable phonetic Tamil input method

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 17:38:11 +0530

[சனி ஜூலை 02, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I'm not sure if there is a principle behind it.  Is there a principle
>> behind why a comes first after b?
>
> Yes: the codepoint order.  

I meant the order in the English language, not the codepoints.

> There's no question about ordering when it's according to the
> codepoints.  If you want some other order, then you need to define the
> rules for the order you want.
>
> Is the order in which you want to sort the characters for Tamil
> accepted somewhere, or is it your own preference? If the former, where
> can one read about that order?
>

It is the order followed by everyone.  See the table titled "Tamil
consonants" in this wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_script#Letters.  If you want details
about the order, it will probably be not translated in English.  I also
skimmed through the Tamil wikipedia and found nothing there.

> There was also another part to your original question about sorting,
> AFAIR: you wanted to sort syllables, not just single characters.
> Assuming the sorting order of the single characters is established in
> some way, what is left to determine how to order syllables?

The order of the syllables fall in place once we sort the consonants and
the vowels.  Vowels can be sorted by using string-lessp so once we sort
the consonants, it is a simple matter of concatenation to produce the
table.  (See my other email also.)