Subject: bug#56322: Ruby packaging issues

From: Remco van 't Veer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:24:46 +0200

Maxime Devos wrote on 30 Jun 13:15 +0200

> I noticed that:
>
>   * Ruby has Autotools ./configure scripts that aren't regenerated.

I'll make a patch for that.  I also noticed unbundling of libffi is not
applied to all versions, will fix that too.

>   * Ruby bundles zlib.

Can you point out where it is in the source tree?  Looking at the
sources I can only find a (very beefy) wrapper around zlib which seems
to implement all kinds of zlib stuff but also depends on the zlib
library.  I dunno how to determine if this is bundling or not.

  https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/master/ext/zlib/zlib.c

>   * Ruby contains some things generated by bison or such.

It seems the generated parse.c file (from parse.y) is included in the
tarballs as a service to workaround a bootstrap problem; generating the
parser requires ruby.  See also:

  https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/master/common.mk#L910

I don't know how to deal with this properly.  The only thing I can think
of is compiling in two phases: first with the supplied parse.c and after
without.  Or try it with mruby as a native-input but that seems to
require ruby to compile too.  What's to gain by this?

Cheers,
Remco