Subject: bug#56311: [PATCH] new function: delete-visited-file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:30:10 +0300

> From: Zachary Kanfer <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 00:26:06 -0400
> 
> +** New command 'delete-visited-file'.
> +This command deletes the file visited by a buffer, then closes the
> +buffer.

"Close the buffer" is not our terminology, you won't find it in our
documentation.  We say "kill the buffer".

I also think "delete-visited-file" is not the best name for the
command, since it doesn't tell all the truth about what it does.

Apart of that, I have no opinion about this proposal, although each
time I see suggestions for features to kill unused buffers or see
people who are worried about such buffers, I raise a brow: in Emacs,
we generally don't care about that (because it does no harm to have
unused buffers), and if someone's usage patterns are such that they
tend to create _gobs_ of large buffers most of which quickly become
unused, there's midnight.el to take care of that.

But if the ultimate decision is to add this command, please keep it
out of files.el, because that's a preloaded package, and thus it will
increase the memory footprint of every Emacs session for the benefit
of a command that I don't think is important enough.

Thanks.