Subject: Re: bug#56311: [PATCH] new function: delete-visited-file

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 22:49:47 -0700

Hello,

On Thu 30 Jun 2022 at 08:30am +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Zachary Kanfer <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 00:26:06 -0400
>>
>> +** New command 'delete-visited-file'.
>> +This command deletes the file visited by a buffer, then closes the
>> +buffer.
>
> "Close the buffer" is not our terminology, you won't find it in our
> documentation.  We say "kill the buffer".
>
> I also think "delete-visited-file" is not the best name for the
> command, since it doesn't tell all the truth about what it does.
>
> Apart of that, I have no opinion about this proposal, although each
> time I see suggestions for features to kill unused buffers or see
> people who are worried about such buffers, I raise a brow: in Emacs,
> we generally don't care about that (because it does no harm to have
> unused buffers), and if someone's usage patterns are such that they
> tend to create _gobs_ of large buffers most of which quickly become
> unused, there's midnight.el to take care of that.

I don't care about the buffer being killed either, but there isn't
currently a quick way to delete the file the selected buffer is
visiting, you have to type/complete its name.  It would be nice to have
that, which I think this command provides.

-- 
Sean Whitton