Subject: Re: bug#56305: 29.0.50; 'yes-or-no-p' deselects minibuffer frame

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 12:41:23 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 14:47:31 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:34:50 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > Anyway, we'll have to decide soon what to do for Emacs 28.2.  The
> > first pretest is already out there.  What we do needs to be simple
> > and safe.  The alternatives so far seem to be do nothing, apply the
> > 53-line deletion from master (which Eli has already rejected) or
> > apply my patch above (fixed to work with tty's).  At the moment, I
> > would favour the last of these.

> It is hard for me to make a decision about that patch, since it isn't
> clear what are its disadvantages.  Martin seems to say that it doesn't
> work well?

Martin's not very happy about things, but I'm not sure what can be
improved quickly.

> So can you tell what problem it fixes ....

In the bug scenario, after C-x C-c, the focus was not on the minibuffer
frame.  Now it is.

> .... and what, if any, problems it causes?

I'm not really aware of any specific problems, but I think Martin might
be.  I see the main problem with the patch is it hasn't been tested on
anything but GNU/Linux and X.  In particular, it hasn't been tested on a
Windows machine or a Mac, at least that I'm aware of.

> Or maybe we should wait for at least the master to have a complete
> fix, and decide then?

You mean, postpone the next Emacs 28 pretest until we've got a better
understanding?

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).