Subject: bug#56305: 29.0.50; 'yes-or-no-p' deselects minibuffer frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 14:55:16 +0300

> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 10:55:07 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>   [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> > It does not restore the Emacs 26 behavior.  If you look at the reports
> > for Bug#8856, Bug#11566 or Bug#11939, you might be able to imagine how
> > much time I spent to get the behavior right for Drew's setup back then.
> > It's quite sobering to see my efforts from that period get wasted now.
> 
> If there are bugs, we fix them.  You're surely not saying that the Emacs
> 26 behaviour was ideal, are you?  I'll take a look at these bug reports
> this evening.
> 
> Part of the problem is that this desired behaviour is not formulated
> anywhere, and there don't appear to be tests in 'make check' for it.

Feel free to add commentary that describes the desired behavior in
specific situations.

I don't think how we can have tests for this in the test suite, since
you cannot test this in a batch session.  We could have tests in
test/manual/, though.

> If my last night's commit to master is satisfactory, perhaps it might
> somehow be possibly to cherry-pick it into Emacs 28.2.

I doubt that, as the change is significant and we won't be able to
know if it's right until some time.  It would be wrong to delay Emacs
28.2 until then, IMO, since the situations in which this happens are
somewhat rare and the problems aren't catastrophic.