Subject: [bug#56298] [PATCH 5/7] gnu: rust-anyhow-1: Update to 1.0.58.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:26:43 +0200

On 27-07-2022 18:01, Maxime Devos wrote:
> I assume you updated rust-rustversion to update rust-anyhow?  If so, I 
> have looked at the Cargo.toml of anyhow. It is very picky in the 
> version of dependents, so if in the future we update rust-rustversion 
> again, rust-anyhow will fail to build. To be robust to that, the 
> Cargo.toml needs to be patched to be less picky, or alternatively you 
> could wait for antioxidant which ignores the version specifications 
> entirely. 

Nevermind, from 
<https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/reference/specifying-dependencies.html>:

> The string |"0.1.12"| is a version requirement. Although it looks like 
> a specific /version/ of the |time| crate, it actually specifies a 
> /range/ of versions and allows SemVer <https://semver.org> compatible 
> updates. An update is allowed if the new version number does not 
> modify the left-most non-zero digit in the major, minor, patch 
> grouping. In this case, if we ran |cargo update -p time|, cargo should 
> update us to version |0.1.13| if it is the latest |0.1.z| release, but 
> would not update us to |0.2.0|. If instead we had specified the 
> version string as |1.0|, cargo should update to |1.1| if it is the 
> latest |1.y| release, but not |2.0|. The version |0.0.x| is not 
> considered compatible with any other version.
>
(if it used = or <=, that would be a different manner)

Greetings,
Maxime.