Subject: [bug#56295] [PATCH 0/5] Add some Chicken eggs and fix egg importer

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 23:30:00 +0200

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/chicken.scm (chicken-srfi-37): New variable.

[...]

> +    (home-page "https://wiki.call-cc.org/egg/srfi-37")
> +    (synopsis "SRFI-37 command-line option parsing for Chicken scheme")
> +    (description "This package provides SRFI-37, a simple and flexible
> +command-line option parsing facility, for Chicken scheme.")
> +    (license (license:non-copyleft home-page)))) ;; TODO: refine

It carries the SRFI license, which is non-free (Philip McGrath stumbled
upon a similar issue with Racket¹).  So this package cannot be included.

There exist free implementations of SRFI-37 though, such as that of
Guile, so one option would be to come up with a separate egg released
under a free license.

I realize that may be more work than you were expecting, but I expecting
porting this module from Guile (say) to CHICKEN to be within reach.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-10/msg00220.html