Subject: bug#56291: 29.0.50; version-control versus gnus-backup-startup-file

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 09:17:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 07:38:28 -0700
> > 
> > Fair enough.  How about
> > 
> >     The usual way to set this variable is globally, through your init
> >     file or the customization buffer.  However, you can set
> >     ‘version-control’ locally in an individual buffer to control the
> >     making of backups for that buffer’s file (*note Locals::).  Some
> >     packages, such as Rmail, override the global setting of
> >     ‘version-control’ this way.  You can also have Emacs set
> >     ‘version-control’ locally whenever you visit a given file (*note File
> >     Variables::).
> > 
> > ?
> 
> The point of the example is to illustrate the local setting of the
> variable, so talking about packages that set the global value misses
> the point, and shouldn't be there.  If Rmail is a bad example, then we
> should find a better one, and mention only those.

Okay, I guess "override the global setting" is too confusing.  Rmail
only sets it locally.  Does this work better:

    The usual way to set this variable is globally, through your init
    file or the customization buffer.  However, you can set
    ‘version-control’ locally in an individual buffer to control the
    making of backups for that buffer’s file (*note Locals::).  Some
    packages, such as Rmail, do this.  You can also have Emacs set
    ‘version-control’ locally whenever you visit a given file (*note
    File Variables::).

?

mike