Subject: bug#56291: 29.0.50; version-control versus gnus-backup-startup-file

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 07:38:28 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]> writes:
> >     Some packages, such as Rmail, override the global setting of
> >     ‘version-control’ in this manner.
> 
> I don't think that's correct, though?  rmail-mode doesn't use file
> variables, it does:
> 
>   (setq-local version-control 'never)
> 
> So it doesn't set version-control "in this manner", as far as I can tell?

Fair enough.  How about

    The usual way to set this variable is globally, through your init
    file or the customization buffer.  However, you can set
    ‘version-control’ locally in an individual buffer to control the
    making of backups for that buffer’s file (*note Locals::).  Some
    packages, such as Rmail, override the global setting of
    ‘version-control’ this way.  You can also have Emacs set
    ‘version-control’ locally whenever you visit a given file (*note File
    Variables::).

?

mike