Subject: Re: "guix shell -f guix2.scm" fails always

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:22:57 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 29.06.2022 um 11:10 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op wo 29-06-2022 om 08:19 [+0200]:
> > > Looks like "-f" is ignored entirely?
> > Have you tried specifying a file that actually contains a package
> > (not a manifest)?
> 
> None of the examples contain a manifest, oops-guix.scm actually
> contains a list of packages as mentioned previously (*).
My bad, I read that as specifications->manifest.  Note that for
specifications->package, you could simply specify hello on the command
line.

Having tested your file now, I can say that guix shell builds hello as
expected, whereas with specifications->manifest, it produces a lovely
backtrace (which is more or less what one ought to expect).

> And the exact same thing happens if a package is used instead of a
> list of packages.
One thing to check here is whether a cache might be interfering.  I
think it is an already known bug, that the file itself is not key in
the cache, which you can work around by specifying --rebuild-cache.

Cheers