Subject: Re: bug#56288: Pitivi can't be started

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:08:33 +0200

Hello Lily and Christian,

This is unfortunately the usual gdk-pixbuf SVG loader not being found,
since it is part of librsvg.  Some details are described in [1] already,
but to summarize:  we need to propagate gdk-pixbuf so that the
search-path GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE is properly set for the profile.

Hence, I can reproduce the issue with
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix shell --pure pitivi -- pitivi
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but the following launches pitivi properly (didn't check further)
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix shell --pure pitivi gdk-pixbuf hicolor-icon-theme adwaita-icon-theme -- pitivi
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think it's very impractical that we have to do this for all packages
that wish to load SVG files via gdk-pixbuf, because it's technical and
not a concern that upstream developers document, since they don't
encounter such behavior.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52044#41
    ([email-masked])

HTH,
-- 
Josselin Poiret