Subject: bug#56239: 28.1; Cannot send signals by name to inferior process by calling signal-process interactively

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:28:57 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

>> For the signal code, type 'SIGUSR1 (or "SIGUSR1", or SIGUSR1).
>>
>> The operation fails with the message "Please enter a number".
>
> Yup.  I've now fixed this in Emacs 29.  I wasn't sure whether to allow
> completing to USR1 og SIGUSR1, and went with the former, but I don't
> really have an opinion on what form to use.  (So feel free to change
> that.)

Unfortunately, it's not such simple. signal-process can also deliver a
signal to a process running on a remote host. The signal names on that
host might differ from the signal names on the local host, collected by
Fsignal_names.

How do we want to handle this? I don't see a simple solution, because
the file name handler machinery is not in use here.

Best regards, Michael.