Subject: Re: [bug#56200] [PATCH 4/4] linux-libre: Enable the AMD HSA driver.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:30:21 -0400

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 04:43:24AM +0000, John Kehayias via Guix-patches via wrote:
> I've attached a patch that should apply after the original patch series, enabling CONFIG_HSA_AMD for the x86_64 5.18 config. I checked only that linux-libre builds, but haven't tried a kernel I would normally used (modified from linux-libre). I could give that a shot later. I'm not entirely sure if I got the commit message format for this type of change correct, but hopefully is close.

Thanks!

> Subject: [PATCH] linux-libre: Enable the AMD HSA driver.

Don't worry too much about the commit message. The only thing to change
is that the commit title should begin with 'gnu', which is how we denote
that the change touches the software distribution portion of guix.git,
as compared to 'guix', 'doc', 'build', etc. But I would normally handle
that without mentioning it to the patch submitter.

> * gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.18-x86_64.conf: Enable the AMD
> Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) driver.

Grepping for 'HSA_AMD' in guix.git:

------
$ git grep HSA_AMD
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-x86_64.conf:CONFIG_HSA_AMD=m
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.19-x86_64.conf:CONFIG_HSA_AMD=m
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.9-x86_64.conf:CONFIG_HSA_AMD=m
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.10-arm64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.10-x86_64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.15-arm64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.15-x86_64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.18-arm64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.18-x86_64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.4-arm64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/5.4-x86_64.conf:# CONFIG_HSA_AMD is not set
------

Yes, there is actually some 64-bit ARM hardware by AMD.

Anyways, I recommend enabling it in all the configs where it is
currently not set. What do you think? If that's a good idea, can you
send a revised patch?

Don't worry about building all the kernels if that's a burden; I'll
check that they build before pushing.