Subject: Re: 28.1; lisp-fill-paragraph result regressed with Emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2024 10:45:30 +0200

> From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2024 14:26:32 +0900
> 
> I can't say it feels very satisfactory; a switch like one imagined by
> Felix could be a step in the right direction; it'd be at least more
> concise in the project .dir-locals.  Would a patch implementing that be
> welcome?

I don't see how a user option to control this could be useful, since
the preferred behavior is not only buffer-local, but also specific to
certain syntactic constructs.  But I won't object to having such an
option.

I also don't see what's wrong with the solution of having a special
function in .dir-locals.el.  We don't pretend that the default Emacs
behavior should necessarily fit all the use cases, and provide ample
opportunities for customizing Emacs behavior for that reason.
Defining a custom fill-paragraph function is a perfectly valid
solution, not very different from having a user option for the same
purpose.  So I'm not sure I understand why you prefer adding an
option, when the Guix project has already solved the problem in a
perfectly legitimate and clean way.