Subject: bug#56197: [PATCH v3] lisp: Introduce a `lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed' variable.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2025 23:40:06 +0900

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
[...]

>> Thanks, but the name is terrible.  The name fill-paragraph-as-displayed
>> is the standard behavior.  It would be better to invert the logic and
>> call it fill-strings-instead-of-paragraphs.
>
> I'm okay with looking for a better name, but
> fill-strings-instead-of-paragraphs doesn't sound like a better one
> (and "terrible" is an exaggeration, IMO).  How about
> fill-paragraph-as-doc-string, by default t?

That's not a bad name, but my code simply avoids narrowing to strings,
it preserves the special handling for doc strings such as filling the
first sentence separately to the second one, so it wouldn't be accurate
in the current version.  We could also turn this special handling off
(which would also be welcome in my use case), then your suggested naming
would make sense.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim