Subject: bug#56197: [PATCH v3] lisp: Introduce a `lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed' variable.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2025 23:37:38 +0900

Hi Felix,

Felix Lechner <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Eli,
>
> On Sat, Jan 25 2025, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> Starting with Emacs 28, filling strings now happens in a
>>> narrowed scope, and looses the leading indentation and can cause
>>> the string to extend past the fill-column value.  Introduce
>>> `lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed' as a new variable allowing
>>> opting out of this new behavior in specific scenarios (such as
>>> when using the Scheme major mode, say).
>
> Thanks, but the name is terrible.  The name fill-paragraph-as-displayed
> is the standard behavior.  It would be better to invert the logic and
> call it fill-strings-instead-of-paragraphs.

Do you mean 'fill-paragraph-as-displayed' (which reverts to past Emacs
behavior) *should* be the default standard behavior?  Because it
currently isn't.

About changing the name, I think the current naming captures the effect
more generally, not mentioning particularities of docstrings, since the
main effect is to avoid narrowing to the string when refilling, not
avoiding the docstring special handling like filling the first sentence
separately, which still holds when fill-paragraph-as-displayed is t
(which I'm also not a big fan but it's a lesser pain point).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim