Subject: Re: bug#56197: lisp-fill-paragraph behavior changed in Emacs 28

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 14:04:55 +0900

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>> [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat,  4 Jan 2025 22:03:43 +0900
>> 
>> Starting with Emacs 28, filling strings now happens in a narrowed scope,
>> and looses the leading indentation and can cause the string to extend
>> past the fill-column value.  Introduce lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed
>> as a new option allowing users to easily opt out of this new behavior.
>
> Thanks.  But this is not a user-level problem, so the variable to
> control this should IMO be a defvar, not a defcustom.  Then Lisp
> programs which need to get back old behavior for some reason could
> bind the variable around the call.

I'm not sure.  A user (such as myself) may prefer the old behavior, and
customize lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed (setting it to t) so that
this behavior is now the default everywhere.  It also makes it
more easily discoverable.  So unless you see a strong reason against
using defcustom, it seems preferable to me than defvar.

> P.S. I don't see your copyright assignment on file, so if you want to
> contribute such large changes, let's please start your legal paperwork
> of assigning the copyright to the FSF.  OK?

That's fine; I'm happy to assign my copyright w.r.t. Emacs changes to
the FSF; please send the paperwork over!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim