Subject: 29.0.50; Increasing max-redisplay-ticks after it is set very low does nothing

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 18:30:23 +0800

Start "emacs -Q", and then evaluate (with M-:)

  (setq max-redisplay-ticks 3)

after the window containing *scratch* no longer redisplays, evalute

  (setq max-redisplay-ticks 3000000000000000)

and type M-x redraw-display RET.  The entire frame will become blank and
refuse to redisplay until a new frame is created.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 192, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.3.4)
 of 2022-06-24 built on trinity
Repository revision: 9f3ce27e56f5fa1053f2abcbcbd375cc0a75f283
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-dumping=unexec --with-x-toolkit=motif --without-cairo
 --cache-file=/tmp/ccache'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS UNEXEC WEBP X11 XDBE XFT
XIM XINPUT2 XPM MOTIF ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
warnings iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
motif x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 109667 8005)
 (symbols 48 21294 0)
 (strings 32 33643 1728)
 (string-bytes 1 917822)
 (vectors 16 17302)
 (vector-slots 8 565822 10894)
 (floats 8 63 64)
 (intervals 56 290 4)
 (buffers 992 12))