Subject: Re: bug#5618: 23.1.91; shell-command-on-region unexpectedly erases buffer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:12:17 +0100

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:17:19AM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:

[...]

> > Besides, the behaviour in the current documentation seems way more
> > useful (i.e. _not_ erasing the buffer whenever REPLACE is non-nil).
> >
> > What do you think?
> 
> Are you sure that changing its long-time behaviour won't break
> some existing packages?

No, of course not. Taking into account that the doc has stated tthis
behaviour one might venture to guess that packages wouldn't rely on the
"actual" (as opposed to the "documented") behaviour.

Still it's a judgement call, and I haven't the insight/experience to
perform that.

I'd try to offer a patch for the function if consensus arises that this
is desirable (but not this week).

Regards
- -- tomás