Subject: bug#5617: 23.1; Preferences of Calc are lost when started twice during Emacs session

From: Jay Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:14:16 -0600

> I want to submit a possible bug concerning Emacs (23.1.1) and Calc
> (2.02), both in Linux and Mac.

Calc 2.02 is a very old version of Calc; Emacs 23.1.1 comes with its own
version. 

> If Calc is started first during an Emacs session, then closed, and
> later opened again, the preferences from .calc.el are not reloaded
> again.

What preferences are you referring to?  Any changes in the mode settings
should be handled properly without rereading the settings file.  The
intended behavior is that if you open a Calc buffer and make changes,
starting another copy of Calc (`another-calc') should have the same
settings as the first copy originally had.  (Hmm, this isn't working
correctly right now; I'll have to fix it.)  If you change some modes and
save them (`calc-save-modes'), then if another copy of Calc rereads the
init file it would have the new modes, not the original modes.  (Either
using the new modes or the original modes would sound reasonable to me; 
Calc was just designed to have the latter behavior.)

It sounds like you are quitting Calc by killing the buffer.  If you use
`q'(`calc-quit') first, then the current modes will become the new
default modes (the new "original" modes).  Or, of course, you could
...
>  A workaround is possible by adding
>
> (add-hook 'calc-mode-hook
> (function (lambda ()
> (load "~/.calc.el"))))"
>
> to .emacs.  However, I guess that this behaviour is not intended.

Jay