Subject: bug#56126: closed (Re: bug#56126: 28.1; ardired: poor management of links under windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 19:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56126: 28.1; ardired: poor management of links under windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56126: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56126
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56126: 28.1; ardired: poor management of links under windows
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 21:29:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Pascal & Eli,

>> Eli, I'd like to commit the attached patch.  Would it be ok to commit
>> it on the emacs-28 branch?
>
> Yes, okay.

Thanks, I've pushed the relevant change to the emacs-28 branch.  I'm
closing this issue.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 28.1; ardired: poor management of links under windows
From: Pascal Quesseveur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:24:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I open a dired buffer on a dir named "C:/Users/Public/Applis"
containing a symbolic link named "Dir01" (the link has been created on
Windows 10 with command mklink /D). In dired Dir01 is followed by ->
and the name of the real directory.

In 27.1 when I hit i (dired-maybe-insert-subdir) on Dir01, it opens
content of Dir01 in the current dired buffer. In 28.1, emacs displays
an error message:

C:/Users/Public/Applis/Dir01 not in this directory tree

There is a change in (dired-insert-subdir-validate). To verify the
directory emacs now calls (file-in-directory-p) instead of
(dired-in-this-tree-p). And:

(dired-in-this-tree-p "C:/Users/Public/Applis/Dir01/" "C:/Users/Public/")
-> 0

(file-in-directory-p "C:/Users/Public/Applis/Dir01/" "C:/Users/Public/")
-> nil

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-04-21 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.1766)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/bbdb/bbdb-vcard-export hides c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/bbdb-vcard-export
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/wdired hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/wdired
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/ls-lisp hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/ls-lisp
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/iimage hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/iimage
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/calculator hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/calculator
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/table hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/textmodes/table
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/remember/remember hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/textmodes/remember
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/rlogin hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/rlogin
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow emacsbug supercite regi shr-color color grep skeleton latexenc
ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar
org-agenda ox-html table comp comp-cstr warnings quail ox-ascii
ox-publish ox tex-mode mule-util canlock sh-script smie executable
rfc2104 mailalias bbdb-gui url-http url-gw url-auth url-cache
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile vcard flow-fill mm-archive sort
smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml gnus-topic nndraft
nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
nnml utf-7 gnutls nnfolder gnus-cache network-stream nsm nntp tabify
time-stamp org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue
mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs bookmark misearch multi-isearch eieio-opt cl-extra
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func shortdoc help-fns radix-tree
help-mode dired-aux autorevert filenotify gnus-dired emms-info-libtag
emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv emms-player-mplayer
emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-stream-info emms-mode-line-icon
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-playing-time
emms-player-simple emms-streams emms-show-all emms-tag-editor
emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info
later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
locate music-list music-album emms-setup emms emms-compat time
highlight-current-line color-theme smtpmail sendmail tumblesocks
tumblesocks-view tumblesocks-compose markdown-mode noutline outline
htmlize tumblesocks-user tumblesocks-api oauth sasl sasl-anonymous
sasl-login sasl-plain hex-util hmac-sha1 plantuml-mode pcase dash
thingatpt html2help footnote rx muse-odf muse-xml muse-help
muse-bbcode muse-blosxom muse-wiki muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs muse-latex muse-html muse-docbook muse-xml-common
cus-edit pp cus-load muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols info
muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode u-vm-color
org-import-icalendar icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs bbdb-gnus
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr
kinsoku svg dom browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader bbdb-snarf
mail-extr bbdb-com message rmc puny dired-explore dired-sort-menu
wid-edit acid dired-arc file-op dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
bbdb-vcard-export bbdb-export bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec which idb gud
easy-mmode compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
qproj-opascal jsee javadoc-lookup ido jserial jswat qproj-java jdok
tempo url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv url-vars mailcap xml-parse doxymacs qproj-cpp qproj
server dos-indent generic generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lunar solar
cal-dst cal-tex cal-iso cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs epa-file epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config ps-mule ipp cl-seq cl-macs cl gv
printing ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr icomplete advice
image-file image-converter edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 851356 90733)
 (symbols 48 45899 8)
 (strings 32 223457 7090)
 (string-bytes 1 7713665)
 (vectors 16 83262)
 (vector-slots 8 1871044 124382)
 (floats 8 1340 610)
 (intervals 56 21295 650)
 (buffers 992 60))

-- 
Pascal Quesseveur