Subject: bug#56117: 29.0.50; pgtk does not distinguish between <kp-separator> and "."/","

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 10:00:28 +0800

Thomas Schneider <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear maintainers,
>
> With “classic” X11 support in Emacs and GTK (probably the others, too),
> pressing the keypad separator ("," on, e.g., a german keyboard layout,
> "." on most others), gave emacs the key <kp-separator>.  With pgtk, this
> is no longer the case.

This is a known problem with several GTK input methods.  There is
nothing we can do.  You can disable using the GTK input method system by
running (pgtk-use-im-context nil), but quite obviously input methods and
the compose key will no longer work.

If you are using X Windows, this, along with many other problems, is why
you should not be using the PGTK port.  Contrary to popular belief, the
"classic" X support is not slower than the PGTK port (in fact, it is
often faster), and has much better support for the X window system,
including features that are simply absent on PGTK, such as support for
drag-and-drop.