Subject: Re: bug#56116: Feature: new Tetris randomizer

From: Timothée Denizou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 19:37:42 +0200

Le mar. 21 juin 2022 à 13:04, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> a écrit :
> This patch is small enough for us to accept it unconditionally, but if
> you plan on contributing in future, we'd need you to sign copyright
> assignment papers.  If you're okay with that, I will send you the form
> to fill and the instructions to go with it.

I'm ok with that, do I need to provide an address ? One of my friend
worked on XBoard and signed his papers at our School located
14-16 Rue Voltaire, 94270 Le Kremlin-Bicetre. If you need to send any,
this is the address.

> I guess you meant cl-rotatef?  rotatef is unbound in "emacs -Q", even
> after I load tetris.el.

Yes cl-rotatef is the one.

> Please use our conventions of formatting commit log messages like
> ChangeLog entries.  You can find the details in the file CONTRIBUTE.

Thanks for the guiding. Should I remake the patch in order to comply ?

Le mar. 21 juin 2022 à 12:59, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> a écrit :
> It might make sense to add it as an option, though.  Any Tetris players
> here with an opinion?

That is a good idea

Le mar. 21 juin 2022 à 15:08, Visuwesh <[email-masked]> a écrit :
 > I think `random' makes the game
> more challenging to play.  Part of the fun when playing this game,
> although very frustrating, is figuring out how to manage the playground
> when Emacs throws you the same block five times (especially the Zs!!)
> but the uniform distribution kills this aspect.

Random definitely makes the game harder but it also makes it more
frustrating.
Modern tetris implementations (Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect) both
use the 7-bag randomizer, as well as a 'hold' cell and a preview of
respectively 6 and 4 pieces.
While this definitely reduce difficulty in a sens, it definitely adds
fluidity
and speed, as well as a more competitive aspect to it. Scores can get
much higher as well.

I propose this change mostly in this purpose (fun, speed and
competition) but I understand the more 'retro' style like the original
game or the NES version.