Subject: Re: bug#56116: Feature: new Tetris randomizer

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:38:10 +0530

[செவ்வாய் ஜூன் 21, 2022] Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Timothée Denizou <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Getting frustrated about having 4 time in a row the same tetromino ?
>>
>> Wait no further !
>>
>> This patch implement the seven bag randomizer, pulling a piece out of
>> the bag each time and filling the bag when it is empty. This allows for
>> a more uniform distribution on small samples.
>>
>> At our school, we have plenty of time at the end of mcqs to play tetris
>> in emacs and this was something I wanted to change for a bit.
>
> Thanks for the contribution.  But this would change gameplay
> considerably -- in Tetris, you can get the same shape four times in a
> row, while with your change, that's no longer possible.  I.e., it makes
> the game less random, so I'm not sure that would be a welcome change.
> (And you can predict which ones you'll be getting at the end of each
> seven piece cycle by counting a bit.)
>
> It might make sense to add it as an option, though.  Any Tetris players
> here with an opinion?

Full disclaimer: I am only an occasional Tetris player, and I haven't
played other Tetris implementations (nor the original), I quickly tried
out one game with and without the patch, I think `random' makes the game
more challenging to play.  Part of the fun when playing this game,
although very frustrating, is figuring out how to manage the playground
when Emacs throws you the same block five times (especially the Zs!!)
but the uniform distribution kills this aspect.