Subject: 23.1.90; LLVM GCC 4.2.1 on Mac OS X lets bootstrap-emacs crash

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:41:40 +0100

Hello!

When I use Apple's llvm-gcc-4.2 (effectively powerpc-apple-darwin9- 
llvm-gcc-4.2) on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and compile GNU Emacs  
(sources from last 24 h) with these flags (with or without '-mcpu=7450  
-mtune=7450')

	CFLAGS='-g -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -Os' CPPFLAGS='' LDFLAGS=''
	CFLAGS='-g -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -Oz' CPPFLAGS='' LDFLAGS=''
	CFLAGS='-g -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -mstring -Os' CPPFLAGS=''  
LDFLAGS=''
	CFLAGS='-g -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -mstring -Oz' CPPFLAGS=''  
LDFLAGS=''

the resulting bootstrap-emacs crashes:

	Writing LC_LOAD_DYLIB     command
	4448 unused bytes follow Mach-O header
	40133 pure bytes used
	mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs
	cd ../lisp; make -k compile-first EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
	make[2]: Nothing to be done for `compile-first'.
	cd ../lisp; make -k autoloads EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs
	chmod +w ..../emacs/lisp/ps-print.el ..../emacs/lisp/emulation/tpu- 
edt.el \
		  ..../emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el ..../emacs/lisp/mail/ 
rmail.el \
		  ..../emacs/lisp/dired.el ..../emacs/lisp/ibuffer.el
	wd=..../emacs/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`; for  
file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* |  
*/.* | */.*/* | */=* | */obsolete | */term ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/ 
$file" ;; esac; done; \
		echo Directories: $wins; \
		EMACSLOADPATH=..../emacs/lisp LC_ALL=C ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch  
--no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated- 
autoload-file "..../emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update- 
autoloads $wins
	Directories: ..../emacs/lisp/. ..../emacs/lisp/./calc ..../emacs/ 
lisp/./calendar ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/ 
ede ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/semantic ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/semantic/ 
analyze ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/semantic/bovine ..../emacs/lisp/./ 
cedet/semantic/decorate ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/semantic/symref ..../ 
emacs/lisp/./cedet/semantic/wisent ..../emacs/lisp/./cedet/ 
srecode ..../emacs/lisp/./emacs-lisp ..../emacs/lisp/./emulation ..../ 
emacs/lisp/./erc ..../emacs/lisp/./eshell ..../emacs/lisp/./gnus ..../ 
emacs/lisp/./international ..../emacs/lisp/./language ..../emacs/ 
lisp/./mail ..../emacs/lisp/./mh-e ..../emacs/lisp/./net ..../emacs/ 
lisp/./nxml ..../emacs/lisp/./nxml/char-name ..../emacs/lisp/./ 
org ..../emacs/lisp/./play ..../emacs/lisp/./progmodes ..../emacs/ 
lisp/./textmodes ..../emacs/lisp/./url
	Loading vc-cvs...
	Fatal error (10)/bin/sh: line 1: 75621 Abort trap              (core  
dumped) EMACSLOADPATH=..../emacs/lisp LC_ALL=C ../src/bootstrap-emacs - 
batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated- 
autoload-file "..../emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update- 
autoloads $wins
	make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 134
	make[1]: *** [..../emacs/src/../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2

Compilation with optimisation level of -O[1-4] or Apple's -fast  
produces a working bootstrap-emacs, see below:

In GNU Emacs 23.1.90.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple- 
appkit-949.54)
  of 2010-02-19 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained' '--x-libraries=/ 
usr/X11/libs' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include/X11' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast' 'CC=llvm-gcc-4.2' 'CPP=llvm-cpp-4.2''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   auto-revert-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.