Subject: Re: bug#56030: The guix pull profile is too big

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 18:35:48 +0200

On 21-07-2022 18:29, ( wrote:
>> Not all linkers support linker scripts, e.g. mold doesn't from what I've
>> read because they make the linker slower.
> Would we really need to support anything other than ld, gold, and lld,
> though?
>
>      -- (

We can choose to not package mold of course, but I think it would be a 
good idea to support mold, because it appears to be much faster than the 
others. Furthermore, I'd like to eventually switch to mold by default, 
because it's much faster.  From the README:

mold is so fast that it is only 2x /slower/ than |cp| on the same 
machine. Feel free to file a bug <https://github.com/rui314/mold/issues> 
if you find mold is not faster than other linkers.

Program (linker output size) 	GNU gold 	LLVM lld 	mold
Chrome 96 (1.89 GiB) 	53.86s 	11.74s 	2.21s
Clang 13 (3.18 GiB) 	64.12s 	5.82s 	2.90s
Firefox 89 libxul (1.64 GiB) 	32.95s 	6.80s 	1.42s