Subject: bug#56025: [WIP PATCH] 29.0.50; em-extpipe-test-2 times out on EMBA and Cygwin

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:59:41 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> I haven't tested, but it looks like it won't work with remote processes
>> foo and bar. Something like
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> ~ $ cd /ssh:remotehost:
>> /ssh:remotehost:~ $ *ls | *grep a
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Hmm, yeah. We'll need to do something with the Tramp case. I think the
> minimal fix would be to update `tramp-sh-handle-make-process' so that
> it doesn't signal an error when :connection-type is a cons
> cell. That's pretty easy.

FTR, there are three different implementations of `make-process' in
Tramp. A fourth one, in tramp-smb.el, waits for implementation.

> However, it seems that Tramp doesn't fully support :connection-type
> yet (testing on both Emacs 28.1 and 29).

Indeed. Tramp just checks that :connection-type is set to a proper
value, that's it. I was never urged to do more :-)

> Maybe there's a relatively easy way to get Tramp to respect
> :connection-type, but I tried a couple of things and they didn't work
> quite right. Still, that could be a followup for later. So long as it
> doesn't error out immediately when it's a cons cell, I think it would
> be ok.

Best would be you write a new bug report for Tramp, handling
:connection-type proper in make-process. At least it should accept the
cons cell (once the API has been stabilized, documented and pushed to
Emacs). And perhaps Tramp could do better in general wrt :connection-type.

Best regards, Michael.