Subject: Re: bug#56008: 29.0.50; image-mode buffer scrolled down automatically

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:25:05 +0530

[வியாழன் ஜூன் 16, 2022 18:49] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:44:13 +0530
>> 
>> When I tried to dig around in ement.el's source code, I thought it was
>> `save-window-excursion' but that turned out not to be the case AFAIU.
>
> What do you mean by "it was `save-window-excursion'"? what is "it" in
> this case?

I thought the source of the random, unwarranted scrolling could be
`save-window-excursion' since it did come with the following warning,

    BEWARE: Most uses of this macro introduce bugs.
    E.g. it should not be used to try and prevent some code from opening
    a new window, since that window may sometimes appear in another frame,
    in which case ‘save-window-excursion’ cannot help.

>  And how did you see that this is not the case?

Sorry, but it is close to a year since I looked at the source code.  All
I remember is being annoyed by the bug despite removing the
`save-window-excursion' bit willy-nilly.

[ This was all in ement.el's source code if I wasn't clear, BTW.  ]