Subject: Re: [bug#55998] [PATCH] gnu: Add cctools.

From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 07:19:13 -0400

On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 3:23:48 PM EDT Maxime Devos wrote:
> Philip McGrath schreef op wo 15-06-2022 om 15:21 [-0400]:
> > Unfortunately, these tools are tightly coupled to Clang/LLVM and don't
> > support GCC. For example, `otool` is a wrapper around `llvm-objdump`.
> 
> In that case, it needs to be in `inputs`, not `native-inputs`, such
> that cross-compiling this cross-compiler can work.
> 
> FWIW, you could compile the wrapper `otool` with GCC and at the same
> time let `otool` use `llvm-objdump`.
> 

If that were the only issue, it might be possible, but this package just 
pervasively does not work with GCC. You will not even get past `./configure` 
without Clang.

Nix seemed to only have the LLVM toolchain as a native input, but I've added 
it to `inputs` as well.

-Philip