Subject: Re: [bug#55998] [PATCH] gnu: Add cctools.

From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 18:29:25 -0400

On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 4:17:07 PM EDT Maxime Devos wrote:
> Philip McGrath schreef op wo 15-06-2022 om 13:15 [-0400]:
> > +      (license license:apsl2))))
> 
> It's also BSD-4:
> 
> https://github.com/tpoechtrager/cctools-port/blob/04663295d0425abfac90a42440
> a7ec02d7155fea/cctools/gprof/gprof.c#L27
> 

My understanding is that Guix's practice is to list the overall license or 
licenses of a package, not every permissive license that might apply to 
particular files.

While that file uses the original license header, it's effectively BSD-3-Clause, 
because the University of California retroactively deleted the advertising 
clause in 1999: see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/bsd.html> and <ftp://
ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change>.

> It's also bundling GNUstep code:
> 
> https://github.com/tpoechtrager/cctools-port/tree/master/cctools/libobjc2
> 

libobjc2 is Expat-licensed—I will look into whether it can be unbundled, but 
it's not a license issue.

-Philip