Subject: bug#55983: 29.0.50; If xref-goto-xref pops up a frame, it doesn't set its input focus

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 03:01:56 +0300

Hi!

Thanks for the report.

On 14.06.2022 23:17, miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss 
army knife of text editors wrote:
> To reproduce, customize pop-up-frames to non-nil and set up your window
> manager such that it doesn't automatically set input focus on newly
> created frames.

TBH I'm not sure how to setup GNOME Shell to do this.

> Now in an xref-mode buffer, press RET on a search result
> (xref-goto-xref) and notice that the newly created frame doesn't receive
> input focus. That is because xref-goto-xref uses `display-buffer',
> followed by a `select-window'.
> 
> To contrast this behaviour with grep-mode, pressing RET in a grep-mode
> buffer (compile-goto-error) does set input focus to the newly created
> frame. That is because compile-goto-error uses `pop-to-buffer`, which
> also calls `select-frame-set-input-focus'.

Window management in Emacs is a tricky business, and the current 
implementation is a result of https://debbugs.gnu.org/28814 which 
implemented a particular kind of behavior and 
https://debbugs.gnu.org/33870 which did try to make it more customizable 
through display-buffer-alist. See both discussions for more detail.

I don't have the time at the moment to try to rework it myself.

Patches welcome, though. But please mind the original implementation intent.